On a day-to-day basis, your database infrastructure may seem like it’s functional. But if you want to protect your data and ensure business continuity, you need a comprehensive understanding of your database environment. There may well be hidden risks embedded in your system—as well as opportunities for database optimization that you don’t know about.
Fortunately, a database assessment will help you diagnose how well your system is working, where vulnerabilities might be, and how you can improve. Here six types of assessments that can give you the insight you need:
1.Core Database Assessment: This comprehensive assessment focuses on quickly identifying areas of significant risk so that you can rectify them ASAP. It covers a full range of major database security issues including configuration, recoverability, maintenance and security.
2. Database Performance Assessment: Like a core database assessment, this assessment diagnoses all major components of your database system with an emphasis on performance. By looking at factors such as index usage statistics and index hot spots, a database performance assessment provides clarity on the problems that are slowing down your applications.
3. Advanced Database/Application Performance Assessment: This is an examination of your database infrastructure within the context of database best practices focusing on index usage, SQL code performance and growth modeling. It provides a diagnosis of the underlying causes of performance issues, helping you determine whether your infrastructure is adequate for your needs and how to prepare for future growth.
4. Database Virtualization Assessment: If you’re interested in switching to a virtualized infrastructure, this assessment will get you started. It includes a thorough review of existing databases, laying the groundwork for developing a roadmap to guide your move to virtualization.
5. Database Version Upgrade Assessment: This assessment prepares you to upgrade to the latest database versions. Essentially, it evaluates whether your environment can support the latest versions and your readiness for an upgrade. Although upgrading offers many benefits, going into the process without careful preparation can create major problems.
6. Database Security Assessment: The most comprehensive assessment of risk to your IT environment, this service looks at how your system is operating and solutions in place for detecting and responding to a breach. The assessment includes recommendations for how to improve database security.
Assess Your Database Environment Now; Avoid Risk, Later
Although some IT decision-makers are skeptical about the value of database assessments, it’s much better to devote resources towards an assessment now rather than experience a breach later. The truth is, most companies aren’t adequately prepared to address the risks— with 90% failing the Disaster Recovery review and 88% failing the SQL Server configuration review.
Given the enormous costs associated with unplanned downtime, it’s keen to undergo an assessment now. As a division of HOSTING, Ntirety is fully qualified to assess your database infrastructure and help you develop a plan to safeguard your assets. Learn more about our different assessments here.