Database assessments are a great way to look into your database environment to gain a realistic understanding of your environment and identify areas of risks and opportunities. Here’s 5 reasons to get a database assessment:
- Disaster Recovery – Are your disaster recovery plans in order? On top of the usual plan components like a contact list, responding to the disaster, a DR checklist and ownership of administering the plan, what does your optimal recovery model look like? How often to you review your disaster recovery plans?
- SQL Server Configuration – Reviewing configuration is important to make sure SQL Server is performing as expected. There are common configuration problems and best practices that should be followed. Ensuring your database meets standards is an important step towards optimizing performance.
- Database Maintenance – Do you have a maintenance plan? Is your data backing up to the cloud effectively? Are files being removed as they are no longer needed? How often are you rebuilding indexes?
- Security – How often are you auditing your database against security and compliance requirements? Do all your users have correct access or even, too much access? Are your backups properly secured?
- Database Backup – Are your files/backups ready in case of a failure? Backups are key to recovery, are you sure you are ready if disaster strikes?
These five reasons are the most common issues we find when assessing SQL Server instances. These problems can all be fixed. First, you need to take a look at what issues you may be facing, build an action plan, then put the plan in action.
Ntirety can help. We have several different types of database assessments that focus on different end goals for your database. For more information, please see our Database Assessments page.