Ntirety would like to extend warm wishes for the upcoming holiday season. With the increase of online shopping, there is a direct correlation to online theft. Be vigilant! Here are some tips/things to watch for as you dive into your online holiday shopping this year.
- When shopping online, be sure to look for a lock symbol and “https” at the beginning of the web address (as opposed to just “http”) to see if the site uses encryption to protect your data.
- Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.
- Consider using anti-phishing software – most anti-virus software contains and anti-phishing component that helps detect phishing scams.
- Watch out for deals that seem too good to be true. Take some extra time to make sure the site you are on is legitimate.
- Secure your wireless network with a password to help protect your personal information.
- Choose passwords with a variety of numbers, letters and symbols and log off of websites completely once your transaction is complete.
- Use a credit card in lieu of a debit card. Credit cards are protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act.
- Set up your credit card to monitor for abnormal activity. This can help catch abnormal activity quicker and lead to a quicker resolution.
- Review all of your statements for accuracy.
- Take immediate action if you suspect any identity theft.
We hope you find these tips useful. We hope that you have a happy and safe holiday season.